Chapter 49 - Transmigration: The Farm Life of a “Fool”
Translator's Note:
Hello, I hope you've all been doing well.
As I said before, if you wish to read ahead, you can head over to my Patreon to get early access to all the translated chapters.
I’ve finished setting up the Bella Novels Discord server! You can join us using this invite. There, you’ll be able to easily follow chapter updates for the novel(s) of your choice—along with access to many other features and community content.
I’m also introducing something new: the Chapter Boost System! This system lets you accelerate a novel’s releases by one, five, or even ten chapters.
Join the Discord to learn more about how it works and take part in this new feature!
If you’re able to provide me with the Raws of the Novels I need, you'll be the first person to receive my translation of them. You’ll also gain instant access to up to 30 advanced chapters for the novel of your choice, OR you can also request a SuperBoost for that novel.
For more details, you can check out the Raw Provider new page.
Here you go, and I wish you a good read.
Chapter 49: Trouble
"Xu Ran is my son! Why should I not be allowed to farm the land my son bought? You, vile wretch, with your blackened heart—how dare you lay claim to it!" Xu Ah-mo's shrill voice rang out as he stood with hands on his hips, berating Liu Tong.
Liu Tong's face was red with anger, and the two children clung tightly to his trousers. It was clear that this argument had been going on for some time.
Xu Ran pushed through the gathered crowd, setting his heavy basket down inside his courtyard.
Turning back, he saw the entire Xu family present. Xu Ran fixed them with a cold gaze. "Father, Ah-mo, what is the meaning of this? Are you bullying my husband and children while I'm not at home? You, as elders, should know better. Before the family split, it was already bad enough that you worked Tongtong to the bone, but now, even after we've separated, you come to our house to cause trouble? This is unacceptable."
"Trouble? How is this trouble? You are my son, and I came to farm your land. After raising you all these years, shouldn't you show a little filial respect to your father?" Xu Ah-mo retorted.
Just as he finished speaking, Xu Houcai, holding a wooden stick, swung it toward Xu Ran. "You ungrateful son! Let's see if I don't beat you to death today."
Xu Ran didn't even bother to dodge, standing firm. "Father, have you forgotten the injuries I sustained when we split the family? And Tongtong's too? Everyone in the village saw what happened. The village chief can bear witness for us, isn't that right, neighbors?"
Most of the people present had worked for Xu Ran's family recently and, having benefited from him, naturally sided with his words.
"Xu Ran speaks the truth. We all saw it back then, Xu Houcai. Xu Ran is your son—how could you bring yourself to beat him so severely? If you really do kill him, you'll end up in jail."
"Exactly! It's too cruel. You didn't give him anything when the family split, and now you show up to take advantage. Shameless!" added two sharp-tongued men from the village, known for their biting remarks. No one dared cross them.
Hearing these comments, Xu Houcai hesitated, his raised stick never coming down.
Xu Ah-mo then launched into another tirade, accusing Xu Ran of being unfilial and of conspiring with the villagers to bully his parents after they had raised him for so many years.
Xu Ran had long harbored resentment, vividly recalling the humiliation of leaving the Xu family. With a cold laugh, he replied, "Father, Ah-mo, I owe you nothing. As for any gratitude for raising me, I already gave you my life once when I was left for dead. What more do you want? And Ah-mo, don't pretend you don't know how I ended up a 'fool' back then. I remember everything clearly. If I tell the whole village and report it to the authorities, what do you think will happen to my dear brother?"
Xu Ah-mo paled at those words, and even Xu Cheng, Xu Ran's brother, was visibly shaken. Neither had expected Xu Ran to remember that incident. As for the villagers, upon hearing this, their imaginations ran wild, piecing together the truth—Xu Ran hadn't accidentally injured himself but had been pushed by Xu Cheng.
With this realization, everything suddenly made sense to the onlookers.
"Elder Brother, what are you saying? How could you tuning into a fool have anything to do with me? You mustn't speak recklessly," Xu Cheng stammered, visibly panicking as he heard the murmurs around him. When Xu Ran threatened to report the matter, his anxiety surged, and his voice rose defensively.
"Ah Cheng, you really think I don't remember? I recall every bit of the life I lived under your thumb in the Xu household. Shall I tell everyone about it?"
"Don't say it! Don't say anything! No one will believe you even if you do! Father, Ah-mo, let's leave now. We'll come back another time," Xu Cheng blurted out in desperation, eager to flee.
But Xu Ran had no intention of letting him off so easily.
"Father, Ah-mo, don't be in such a hurry to leave. When we split the family, we made it clear that whether we live or die from now on, it has nothing to do with you. I returned my life to you back when I was left for dead. As for the land, it all went to my brother. I'm sure he'll take good care of you in your old age."
"To prevent further incidents like this, let's write up a formal document today. That way, no one can claim kinship and act high and mighty under my name. It'll save everyone the trouble in the future."
Naturally, Xu Houcai objected. "What document? You're my son! No matter what, you'll always be my son."
"But no father would wish his son dead, much less try to beat him to death!" Xu Ran shot back, his face dark with fury. A tiger may lie low, but it does not mean it's a sick cat.
"Tangtang, go fetch the village chief. Guoguo, bring paper and ink. This matter ends today. My husband and children have been bullied for years, and if I let it continue, I'd be less than a man!"
Xu Ran's fierce gaze pinned his family in place. They were so startled by his intensity that they dared not move.
Last Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter
⥼ Bonus Discord Chapter ⤴
❧ Join Bella Novels' Newsletter by clicking here ↫ and
receive an email for each New Update -͙✧˖*°࿐
Comments
Post a Comment