Chapter 48 - Transmigration: The Farm Life of a “Fool”
Translator's Note:
Hello, I hope you've all been doing well.
As I said before, if you wish to read ahead, you can head over to my Patreon to get early access to all the translated chapters.
I’ve finished setting up the Bella Novels Discord server! You can join us using this invite. There, you’ll be able to easily follow chapter updates for the novel(s) of your choice—along with access to many other features and community content.
I’m also introducing something new: the Chapter Boost System! This system lets you accelerate a novel’s releases by one, five, or even ten chapters.
Join the Discord to learn more about how it works and take part in this new feature!
If you’re able to provide me with the Raws of the Novels I need, you'll be the first person to receive my translation of them. You’ll also gain instant access to up to 30 advanced chapters for the novel of your choice, OR you can also request a SuperBoost for that novel.
For more details, you can check out the Raw Provider new page.
Here you go, and I wish you a good read.
Chapter 48: Corn
The young man, who carried an air of refinement, wore a gentle smile, though there was a faint sorrow between his brows, as if something was troubling him.
Upon hearing Xu Ran's request, the man stepped forward and returned his smile. "This young gentleman, I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with what you call corn seeds. I don't believe our store carries such a thing."
Xu Ran had anticipated that the term "corn" might not exist in this era. He reached into his basket and pulled out a whole cob of corn. "This is what I mean. I wish to buy the seeds for this. Your shopkeeper told me that I'd need to speak with the master to make the purchase. I was here about ten days ago."
The young man glanced at the shopkeeper, who nodded in confirmation. "Indeed, Master. This gentleman came by ten days ago, but you were away at the time. He asked me to hold onto it, and today he has returned, just as you've come back."
"This," the young man said, looking at the corn, "is called a 'stick'* where I come from, brought up from the southern regions. It's known for high yields, though no one here has ever grown it. How did you come to know about it, young master?"
[T/N: In ancient times, corn (玉米, yùmǐ) wasn't called "corn" because it had not yet been introduced or widely recognized in many parts of the world, including China. Corn was originally a crop native to the Americas and was brought to China much later, around the 16th century, via trade routes. Before its introduction, there wouldn't have been a specific term for it in China, so early references to corn used different names like "棒子" (bàngzi), meaning "stick," "stalk" or "ear" of grain, referring to its shape, until the more familiar term "玉米" became common.]
"To be honest," Xu Ran replied, "I read about it in an old text. It mentioned that not only is it suitable for human consumption, but it can also be used as feed for livestock. Even the stalks have their uses. Given how practical it sounds, I thought it would be worth trying."
As a man from the modern world, Xu Ran knew that spinning a convincing story was a skill, and his words easily persuaded the young master.
"So that's how it is," the young man said, nodding in understanding. "I don't have many of these. Only a handful—about ten or so. I wasn't sure if anyone would buy them, so I didn't bring more from the south."
"Well then, how about you sell them all to me?" Xu Ran proposed confidently. "Once I've successfully grown them, I'll save the seeds for future planting, and you'll be able to get seeds from me to sell. By next year, I believe this will be in high demand."
Xu Ran's assured tone was contagious, and the young master couldn't help but be swayed by his optimism. "Very well, I'll sell them all to you. Ten coins will do, as I didn't pay much for them in the south."
Xu Ran understood that this was the young master's way of fostering a future partnership, and he had no objections. "Agreed, ten coins it is. Additionally, I'll need some wheat seeds and vegetable seeds. Could you please have the shopkeeper gather them for me?"
With the young master's approval, the shopkeeper quickly set about fulfilling Xu Ran's request.
"My name is Zhuo Yun," the young master introduced himself. "May I ask the name of this fine gentleman?"
"Xu Ran," he replied, returning the courtesy with a polite bow. "I'm from the Xu's clan village nearby."
With introductions exchanged, the two men began to chat further. Xu Ran asked Zhuo Yun about the southern regions, and Zhuo Yun, a good conversationalist, shared some interesting stories from his travels.
By the time the shopkeeper had finished packing the seeds, both men felt that their conversation had barely scratched the surface.
However, Xu Ran had to leave early as the journey back on foot would take some time. He bid farewell to Zhuo Yun, "Master Zhuo, I must take my leave today, but I'll return when I have more time. You're not just a skilled merchant; you're also quite the storyteller. You've made it hard for me to leave, but alas, I am too busy today. I'll visit again in a few days."
Zhuo Yun, amused by Xu Ran's flattery, smiled, and the gloom that had clouded his features earlier lifted. "Agreed. I won't be traveling any time soon. I'll be right here at the shop, awaiting your visit."
With mutual pleasantries exchanged, Xu Ran paid for his goods and departed.
After buying a number of other items in town, Xu Ran's basket was heavily loaded.
He noted that every time he went to town, he ended up buying meat, which was a hassle. It seemed he would need to raise livestock at home. With ample space available, chickens and ducks could roam freely, while a pigsty could be built for pigs. He would also need to raise a cow.
In addition, he needed to purchase farmland. Rice would have to be planted; buying rice all the time wasn't a sustainable solution. He would also buy a couple of hills to plant fruit trees—things like oranges, peaches, and cherries could thrive there.
Yes, the most pressing need now was silver. After that, the examinations.
He would need official recognition and a title; otherwise, all these assets would surely attract unwanted attention.
Deep in thought, Xu Ran soon reached the village's entrance.
Instead of taking the main road, he turned down another path that led directly to the back of his house.
But before he reached his home, the sound of commotion caught his attention. Xu Ran quickened his pace and realized the noise was coming from his own front gate.
Without hesitation, he pushed through the crowd, his basket still on his back.
Last Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter
⥼ Bonus Discord Chapter ⤴
❧ Join Bella Novels' Newsletter by clicking here ↫ and
receive an email for each New Update -͙✧˖*°࿐
Comments
Post a Comment