Chapter 27 - Blindness

Translator's Note:

Hello, I hope you've all been doing well.

Here you go, and I wish you a good read.

And as I said before, if you wish to read ahead, you can head over to my Patreon to get early access to all the translated chapters.





Ren's Scent

 

 

"Brother, you smell nice..."

 

"Oh? But Aoi, you have a nice scent too."

 

"...Nice scent... I really love your scent, Brother."

 

"Oh? Thank you, Aoi. I'll stay here until you fall asleep."

 

In their childhood, Aoi had always loved the scent of his older brother.

 

Especially when they shared a bed, Aoi could strongly sense Ren's fragrance. Whenever Aoi felt lonely, Ren would always hold his hand and gently stroke his head, guiding him to sleep.

 

Since losing his sight, Aoi had been afraid to spend the night alone.

 

The only thing Aoi could perceive was the faint presence of light. However, the nighttime would paint Aoi's world in darkness, creating a sense of being swallowed up by solitude. It felt incredibly daunting and lonely.

 

Whether his eyes were closed or open, all he could see was an immense abyss. It felt as if even his future was trapped in this darkness. For Aoi, the night was a deeply terrifying thing.

 

During those times, Aoi would often cry before falling asleep. But Ren was always there by his side. They shared the same room, ate meals together, bathed together, and slept together. It wasn't every day, but his dependence on Ren continued until Ren entered high school, when Ren was fifteen and Aoi was ten.

 

Aoi didn't despair about their parents' absence. Their parents had passed away just before Aoi turned three, and Aoi didn't have clear memories of them. The servants were all kind, and most importantly, Ren was there. Just that alone gave Aoi strength.

 

However, when Ren entered high school, he suddenly became busy with club activities and studying. He no longer stayed by Aoi's side as often. Even if they occasionally met inside the house, Ren stopped spoiling Aoi as before and instead began to throw harsh words at him.

 

Ren told him, "We are the men of the Kuniyshiro family. Aoi, you need to become more responsible. Study, exercise, learn music—do whatever you can." Aoi felt a sense of loneliness, but he understood that it was indeed reasonable, so he worked hard.

 

Looking back now, Aoi felt that the first sense of unease came around that time.

 

Ren suddenly distanced himself from Aoi and became strict as if he had changed. Aoi remembers that it was around that time that Ren began using the phrase "for the sake of the Kunishiro family" more often.

 

Ren was hiding something. Something about himself, his only remaining family member—Aoi.

 

Though it had been a lingering concern, Aoi couldn't quite grasp the true nature of that uneasiness. Furthermore, burdened by the guilt that his brother's busyness was all for his sake, Aoi had no time to contemplate other matters.

 

Aoi began to realize the nature of that lingering unease only recently.

 

It happened when he faintly detected that sweet scent among the fragrance of Ren's cologne. It reminded him of the scent of his brother when they were young, yet something was slightly different.

 

The fact that Yuto had been suppressing his pheromones with medication... This revelation also became a hint for Aoi.

 

The time when Ren distanced himself from Aoi. The drastic change in his attitude towards Aoi. His unstable physical condition and emotional fluctuations that were apparent even when he tried to hide them.

 

A suspicion suddenly struck Aoi's chest.

 

There was no way, he thought, but when he considered it, everything fell into place, explaining every single one of Ren's actions.

 

And now, Ren remained silent in response to Aoi's question.

 

Rather than getting angry or agitated by his younger brother's sudden and outrageous statement, Ren simply stood there quietly.

 

Beside them, Yuto looked at Aoi and Ren with confusion. Aoi embraced Yuto's shoulders and asked his brother once again.

 

"Is that true, Brother?"

 

"... "

 

"You won't deny it?"

 

Ren slowly lowered his gaze and loosened the tie around his neck. Then, with a voice that sounded somewhat exhausted, he murmured, "I guess it's just useless at this point."

 

"…I always believed that someday you would surely notice. Aoi has a good sense of smell, after all."

 

"...So, it was true. Why... Why did you hide it for so long?"

 

"Why? Heh... Aoi, that's a foolish question."

 

Saying so, Ren shrugged his shoulders and a self-deprecating smile appeared on his lips. Then, with his jade-green eyes tinged with a golden hue, he looked up at the night sky and let out a deep sigh, as if expelling something that had been weighing heavily on his chest.

 

"I am the eldest son of the prestigious Alpha Kunishiro family. Throughout generations, only Alphas have been born into the Kunishiro family. That's what I believed too... until I underwent the blood test to determine my gender."

 

"..."

 

With those words, Ren turned his gaze, clouded with shadows, toward Aoi.

 

The realization that his thoughts had been accurate struck Aoi's heart with a shock far greater than he had imagined.

 

"The first time I underwent a blood test was during the health examination before entering high school. I'm truly fortunate that it wasn't a group examination. The one who conducted my examination was Ayase's father."

 

"Dr. Ayase's...?"

 

"Yes... After that, I became dependent on the Ayase family. I've been on edge for the past ten years, always careful not to let any of our relatives find out. It's unthinkable for the eldest son of the Kunishiro family to be an omega. If such a thing were to be exposed to the world, we would only become prey for other alphas who wish for the downfall of this household. I absolutely didn't want that. I wanted to protect this family and you."

 

"...Brother."

 

The anguish and frustration that Ren had experienced at the age of fifteen must have been unimaginable. It must have been an overwhelmingly heavy secret for a boy of that age to bear.

 

As Aoi gazed into Ren's emerald eyes, he felt as if the intense emotions that Ren had experienced back then were now pressing upon his own chest. Aoi tightly embraced Yuto's shoulders and attentively watched his brother recounting the past, absorbing every detail of his expression.

 

"I used all sorts of suppressants. Ayase's father, who was my attending physician at the time, didn't approve of it naturally. However, he understood the circumstances I was in, so he allowed me to do as I pleased. He started focusing on the development of suppressants that would cause less strain on the body, and eventually, his son took over the research. The Ayase family has been watching over and supporting me for two generations now."

 

"That doctor..."

 

"Yes. Ayase was also my senior in high school. I relied on him a lot even at school."

 

When Ren entered high school, Ayase was in his third year. Having known Ren even before his enrollment, Ayase always kept close to Ren's side.

 

Because of that, Ayase had been labeled as "a shameless omega temptress openly seducing the prestigious alphas" within the school. However, in reality, Ayase was camouflaging the omega pheromones that Ren unconsciously emitted by staying by his side. By exuding more allure than necessary, Ayase prevented Ren's identity as an omega from being exposed.

 

Ren, who had just entered his first year of high school, was still confused and despairing about his own gender. Moreover, being an immature omega, he didn't even know when his pheromones would become stronger. As a support behind the scenes for the unstable Ren, Ayase was always by his side.

 

While discussing these matters, Ren wore a tired expression, placing his hand on his forehead and ruffling his bangs. And then, he continued to speak calmly.

 

"It wasn't just suppressants. I also used muscle-enhancing agents to physically appear more alpha-like. There were even times when I resorted to drugs that were barely a step away from narcotics because I couldn't stand having a brain that became completely useless and unproductive during my heats. I felt like I didn't deserve to bear the 'Kunishiro' surname. I didn't want to show my pathetic side to my younger brother. I've been desperately striving, and risking my life, to be the most alpha-like alpha possible. And maybe... that's why I've started to experience the strain on my body. I've been urging you to have an heir because of that."

 

"That's...! So that's why you've been looking unwell lately?"

 

"...That's part of it, and it seems like trying to suppress my heats is reaching its limit too. The suppressants are becoming less effective, so there might be other Alphas like you who started to notice."

 

While speaking, Ren glanced at Yuto. Aoi also looked down at Yuto, but Yuto was no longer trembling and was staring intently at Ren.

 

Though their positions were different, Yuto and Ren had gone through the same struggles. Both of them had denied their own genders and desperately went on living while trying to hide it.

 

What is Yuto thinking right now? His lips were trembling as if he wanted to say something. Aoi pondered such things and returned his gaze toward his older brother.

 

"You know Kunihiro Masachika, right? Father's cousin, the man who was in charge of Kunishiro Holdings until I came of age."

 

"...Ah, of course I know him. He's still working directly under you, right?"

 

"I think he's noticed by now. Recently, his behavior toward me has become overtly suggestive... I absolutely cannot afford to give him any more power. If I were to show any weakness now, he would easily discard both me and you without hesitation."

 

"What...?"

 

"That's why I can't give up right now. I have to demonstrate that the Kunihiro family, the direct line, is still strong. Additionally, I need you to have a child as soon as possible to ensure the continuation of this bloodline... I've asked too much of you. I know that. But I can't afford to stop now...!"

 

Ren uttered all those words in a single breath, and then let out a deep sigh, as if exhausted.

 

In the silent night garden, the eager chorus of the summer insects echoed.

 

Yuto's hand gently brushed against Aoi's hand, causing Aoi to look down at it with surprise. Yuto looked up fixedly at Aoi with his clear eyes.

 

"Master Ren seems tired. Please go to him and support him. I'll be fine now."

 

"Ah, yes... I'm sorry."

 

Aoi gently let go of Yuto and slowly approached his older brother. Despite having been by his side at the party venue just a while ago, it felt like it had been a long time since their eyes sincerely met like this.

 

Since regaining his sight, his brother's gaze had been stubbornly rigid. The reason behind it had finally become clear.

 

Aoi gently placed both hands on Ren's cheeks and lightly stroked his slightly chilled, pale skin. Then, while peering into Ren's emerald eyes, Aoi softly bit on his own lip.

 

"Brother... It's okay now. From now on, I will protect you. Tell me everything about your work, and I will take over everything as soon as possible. Bother, I want you to focus only on recovering."

 

"...Aoi."

 

"I'm quitting university. I can't keep burdening you with everything anymore. I've been relying on my blindness as an excuse and avoiding various matters. I've left everything in your hands and just kept relying on you..."

 

"It's okay. I let it happen because I wanted to. Besides, about university..."

 

"If you don't want me to quit, then I'll take a leave of absence. Right now, I just want to reduce your burden as much as possible. I can't ignore Masachika's actions either. I will be right by your side, I'll absolutely protect you...!"

 

"...Aoi..."

 

Aoi tightly embraced Ren.

 

Had his brother's body always been so fragile? Ren had always been strong, brimming with confidence and radiance. Aoi didn't think that image was deceitful. However, Ren must have desperately restrained himself to behave that way. He had suppressed his solitude, his restlessness, his fears and insecurities about assuming the role of an Alpha and standing at the pinnacle, all for the sake of protecting Aoi.

 

Tears unknowingly welled up in Aoi's eyes. His voice choked with sobs, and his body trembled uncontrollably.

 

He couldn't forgive himself for exposing such a pathetic image right after proclaiming he was going to protect his brother. However, at that moment, he found himself unable to contain that overwhelming surge of emotions.

 

Then, Ren gently patted Aoi's back, just like comforting a young child, with a soothing touch.



Last Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 94 - Pay Attention to Me

Chapter 1 - Pay Attention to Me

Extra 2: College Life (3) (NSFW) - Pay Attention to Me