Chapter 51 - The Supporting Villain Is Raising a Cub Online

Translator's Note:

Hello, I hope you've all been doing well.

 

As I said before, if you wish to read ahead, you can head over to my Patreon to get early access to all the translated chapters.

  

I’ve finished setting up the Bella Novels Discord server! You can join us using this invite. There, you’ll be able to easily follow chapter updates for the novel(s) of your choice—along with access to many other features and community content.

I’m also introducing something new: the Chapter Boost System! This system lets you accelerate a novel’s releases by one, five, or even ten chapters.

Join the Discord to learn more about how it works and take part in this new feature!

 

If you’re able to provide me with the Raws of the Novels I need, you'll be the first person to receive my translation of them. You’ll also gain instant access to up to 30 advanced chapters for the novel of your choice, OR you can also request a SuperBoost for that novel.

For more details, you can check out the Raw Provider new page. 

 

Here you go, and I wish you a good read. 





Bringing Your Lov—Your Lov… Lover? Tan Qing?!

 

 

As a part of the impoverished population, whose financial links had long since severed, Tan Qing was suddenly filled with immense sympathy for the investors of the production team.

 

He bit down hard on the stainless steel fork, then smugly leaned over the table, saying to He Mingyu, "Ah, thank goodness I had Ji Yanxiu return that 20 million yuan to Rong Sheng. Now, I'll make sure he treats me to a feast!"

 

He Mingyu: "..."

 

With a dark expression, He Mingyu grabbed a tissue and wiped Tan Qing's greasy little mouth clean.

 

Tan Qing, like a cat being wiped down, persisted, "Oh right, who's the biggest investor in the production now? Ji Yanxiu?"

 

"Of course not."

 

He Mingyu folded the used tissue neatly and tossed it into the nearby trash can before continuing, "Xuanwu was originally backed by investors trying to promote the lead actress. Ji Yanxiu was just brought on to elevate the project."

 

"Oh," Tan Qing nodded. "So Ji Yanxiu felt like he owed Ran Anluo a favor, and that's why he brought him on as the second male lead?"

 

He Mingyu reached into the fruit basket, peeled a red pomelo segment meticulously, and handed it to Tan Qing. "Eat some fruit."

 

Tan Qing: "..."

 

Fine, I'll eat.

 

As long as it's not green vegetables, I'll eat anything.

 

While munching on the pomelo, Tan Qing gossiped with He Mingyu, "If it's like you said, that poor lead actress must be devastated. She finally got her big break, only to see it fly away."

 

He Mingyu's expression remained cool and distant. Only after watching Tan Qing finish the fruit did he ask, "Does your butt still hurt?"

 

Tan Qing: "..."

 

It was the first time someone showed such concern for his butt, and he wasn't used to it.

 

Wriggling slightly on the padded chair, Tan Qing replied awkwardly, "It's fine, it just hurts a little!"

 

He scooped up another spoonful of chicken congee and raised his head. "But, He Mingyu, why would that investor be willing to spend so much to promote the lead actress? Did they see her talent, like Rong Sheng did with me?"

 

He Mingyu, whose gaze had been focused on Tan Qing's slightly open pajama collar, replied, "What does this have to do with Rong Sheng?"

 

Tan Qing sipped his congee contentedly, licking his lips. "Back when I was filming Xuanwu, Rong Sheng invested 20 million in me because he thought I was amazing. But later, when I didn't get the second male lead, Ji Yanxiu refunded the money to him..."

 

He Mingyu paused, recalling that when Tan Qing had accepted the role in Xuanwu, it had coincided with the period when there had been an error in the DNA test results.

 

At that time, his family issues overlapped with the situation, and aside from reminding Rong Sheng that he could approach him for investment if needed, He Mingyu hadn't asked much about Tan Qing's work.

 

After Xuanwu began filming, Rong Sheng never brought up any financial issues again.

 

He Mingyu looked at Tan Qing, sitting in front of him.

 

Just as he was about to say something, Tan Qing's phone rang from the table.

 

Glancing at it, Tan Qing put down his spoon and picked up the phone. "Hello? Oh, I see... Okay, sure."

 

When the call ended, Tan Qing flopped helplessly onto the table, pouting, "Director Cheng Ye called. There's a funding issue, so they're holding a press conference to announce the production delay. All the main actors have to attend. It sounds so boring."

 

Having rushed out of the bedroom earlier, Tan Qing hadn't tidied himself up properly.

 

A small tuft of hair was now sticking up from the top of his head, swaying as he shook his head.

 

Remembering how they had been up all night together, He Mingyu softened a little. "If you don't want to go, I can call Director Cheng Ye for you."

 

Tan Qing shook his head. "It's fine, I'll go."

 

After all, I can sneak in a few rounds of gaming with Ji Yanxiu.

 

Maybe even get him to spend some money to buy me new heroes.

 

Sighing in resignation, Tan Qing headed back to the bedroom to get ready.

 

He bundled himself up tightly, sneaking out in a white down jacket, and then spun in front of He Mingyu with a smug grin. "How do I look?"

 

The white jacket did complement Tan Qing's skin tone.

 

His small face made him look soft and youthful, giving off an innocent charm.

 

He Mingyu stood up from the dining table, walked over, and zipped up Tan Qing's down jacket with a gentle smile. "You look good."

 

Poking his head out from the fluffy collar, Tan Qing beamed, "Hehe, Rong Sheng gave it to me."

 

He Mingyu: "..."

 

He Mingyu's hand paused on the jacket, and suddenly, no matter how he looked at it, the jacket seemed unpleasant.

 

He opened his mouth, but even he felt his reaction was a bit childish.

 

Reluctantly, he let it go and grabbed a gray cashmere scarf from the coat rack, carefully wrapping it around Tan Qing's neck.

 

Tan Qing obediently tilted his face up, letting He Mingyu finish dressing him. After checking himself in the mirror, he bossily asked, "Will you take me there?"

 

He Mingyu took his own coat from the rack and casually grabbed a throw pillow from the sofa. "Yes, it's too cold today. I'll take you."

 

The black Phaeton drove all the way from East Second Ring Road to West Fourth Ring Road.

 

Just before getting out of the car...

 

Tan Qing, who had been sitting on the pillow the entire way, took it out from under him and stuffed it into He Mingyu's arms. Cautiously looking around, he pulled on his hat and then turned to He Mingyu, saying, "You should leave quickly after I get out. Don't stay here—be careful not to get photographed!"

 

He Mingyu reached out, grabbed Tan Qing by the wrist, and pulled him back. "Why don't you want to be photographed with me?"

 

Tan Qing scratched his nose and answered honestly, "Well, it's not like I care about being criticized, but there are always people talking behind my back. It's pretty unpleasant… Especially because, I think sometimes humans can be really harsh when they insult others..."

 

Suddenly, He Mingyu said, "I'm sorry."

 

Tan Qing: "Huh?"

 

Originally, Tan Qing had planned to use this opportunity to complain about his hardships and maybe even ask He Mingyu for some money.

 

But before he could speak, He Mingyu's sudden apology caught him off guard, leaving him dazed. "What are you apologizing for?"

 

He Mingyu leaned over and gently kissed Tan Qing on the forehead. "Do you want to make our relationship public?"

 

Tan Qing, now even more bewildered, thought being kissed by He Mingyu was far more pleasant than being scolded by him.

 

He snuggled obediently into He Mingyu's arms and asked, confused, "What relationship?"

 

He Mingyu: "..."

 

The atmosphere in the car grew tense once more.

 

Tan Qingpondered seriously in his mind, shifting his gaze thoughtfully, and quickly replied, "Ah, I know! Fuck buddies? Or maybe as sugar daddy and his sugar baby?"

 

He Mingyu's face turned blue. "Tan Qing!"

 

Tan Qing: "Uh-huh?"

 

He Mingyu: "..."

 

Before He Mingyu could teach Tan Qing a lesson, there was a knock on the car window from outside.

 

The knocking was persistent.

 

Three knocks, then three more.

 

Tan Qing mischievously nudged He Mingyu's arm and urged, "Come on, Daddy! Go punch him!"

 

He Mingyu: "..."

 

He took a deep breath and rolled down the window.

 

Outside stood Liu Quan, the executive producer of Xuanwu.

 

At fifty-eight, Liu Quan had already produced several major hits. But with the recent economic downturn, he was relying on this film, featuring an award-winning actor and a controversial rising star, to make a big comeback. However, a sponsor's financial collapse had thrown the entire project into chaos.

 

To resume filming quickly, a new investor was essential.

 

And He Mingyu was clearly the most reliable option.

 

Liu Quan's face bloomed with a smile as wide as a chrysanthemum*, nodding and bowing as he approached the car window. "Oh my, Chairman He! What a lucky coincidence to run into you today! What brings you here…"

 

[T/N: Using chrysanthemum to describe the smile means that the smile is exaggerated and a bit vulgar and insincere.]

 

He Mingyu, expressionless, replied, "I'm here to drop off my lover for the press conference."

 

Liu Quan hurriedly responded, "Chairman He, you're truly a gentleman, bringing your lov—your lov… lover? Tan Qing?!"

 

Tan Qing tilted his head with a mischievous grin. "Don't misunderstand, just someone I make love with."

 

Liu Quan: "..."

 

He Mingyu: "..."

 

He Mingyu shot a cold glance at Tan Qing.

 

"You two keep talking. I'm leaving!" Tan Qing, ever the troublemaker, hopped out of the passenger seat and quickly slipped away.

 

Liu Quan, beads of sweat trickling down his shiny bald head, felt as though he had just uncovered a shocking secret.

 

He nervously glanced at He Mingyu's increasingly inscrutable expression and stammered, "Chairman He, I'll… I won't bother you any further…"

 

But He Mingyu cut him off, "You want me to cover the production's funding shortfall, don't you?"

 

Liu Quan's heart, which had sunk moments before, rekindled with a glimmer of hope.

 

Forcing another bright smile, he steeled himself and said, "Chairman He, you're truly insightful! No one else has your vision! You see…"

 

"Spare me the flattery," He Mingyu said, his face stern as he rolled the window halfway up. "I'll take over the sponsorship, but I have two conditions."

 

Liu Quan quickly bowed, "Of course, Chairman He! Whatever you want, we'll make it happen!"

 

He Mingyu tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. "First, get rid of Ran Anluo. I don't care who you cast as the second male lead to replace him."

 

Liu Quan hesitated.

 

In the entertainment industry, information spread quickly, but he had never heard of Ran Anluo offending someone as powerful as He Mingyu.

 

But regardless, the sponsor's wishes were paramount.

 

Liu Quan immediately agreed, "No problem, no problem! Don't worry, Chairman He. Ran Anluo was only cast because Ji Yanxiu insisted. I'll take care of it!"

 

He Mingyu paused. "Second, the scenes between Tan Qing and Ji Yanxiu…"

 

Liu Quan, ever the shrewd producer, immediately grasped He Mingyu's underlying message. "Chairman He, don't worry! I'll have the script rewritten! We'll revise everything from the ground up and send it to you first for approval! I guarantee, not a trace of ambiguity will remain!"

 

Only then did He Mingyu start the car, his tone cold. "That's settled. Tomorrow, go directly to He Corporation and coordinate with the project team. And don't forget your promises."

 

Liu Quan's smile stretched all the way to his ears. "Of course, Chairman He, of course! I won't forget! Have a safe trip! And please visit the set more often! Tan Qing's a real talent!"

 

The black Phaeton smoothly drove away from the parking lot.

 

Tan Qing, having just finished up in the restroom, ran into Yan Jianbai as he was walking in.

 

With a groan, Tan Qing took a hasty step back and rubbed his waist. "What's with you? Running to the parking lot one minute, to the bathroom the next—are you suffering from snake spirit syndrome?

 

[T/N: "Snake spirit syndrome" (蛇精病) is a colloquial expression in Chinese that humorously refers to someone who is overly dramatic, eccentric, or behaves in a way that seems irrational or nonsensical. The phrase implies that the person has a "sick" or "twisted" way of thinking or acting, akin to the erratic behavior attributed to a mythical snake spirit.]

 

Yan Jianbai blew a kiss at him. "I don't have snake spirit syndrome—I'm a snake demon! I like running to bars too, but you don't go to bars anymore. It's so lonely."

 

Tan Qing: "..."

 

And that's why local demons shouldn't mix with half-blood demons like Yan Jianbai.

 

Tan Qing cast a pitying look at him, the kind you'd reserve for someone lacking in intelligence, and tried to slip past him to exit the restroom.

 

He hadn't taken more than two steps when Yan Jianbai leaned in and sniffed at his shoulder. "Qingqing, where'd you find such a nourishing human?"

 

Tan Qing pushed him away in disgust. "Get lost. You're the one eating humans."

 

Undeterred, Yan Jianbai leaned in again, eyes gleaming. "Ran Anluo is the luckiest person I've ever seen. I sleep with him every day and still can't absorb luck this good. Who did you find?"

 

Tan Qing: "..."

 

Of course, the protagonist would have the best luck.

 

But unfortunately for him, he'd run into Yan Jianbai.

 

Yan Jianbai's crimson tongue flickered out and then quickly retracted as he swallowed. "Don't tell me it's He Mingyu? Did you sleep with him, Qingqing?"

 

He circled Tan Qing, taking a deep breath. "Oh, by the way, I overheard He Mingyu confessing his feelings to you in the car earlier, after accompanying Ran Anluo here! Are you going to accept?"

 

Tan Qing shook his head. "Nope."

 

Yan Jianbai blinked in confusion. "Why not? If he can boost your power and he's just a regular human, that's a pretty sweet deal."

 

"Demons don't need companions."

 

With only the two of them in the restroom, Tan Qing's voice rang especially clear. "No one in this world can stay with us through the endless years of ageless immortality. Until death, demons don't need feelings—nor do we need unnecessary attachments."



Last ChapterTOC | Next Chapter
⥼ Bonus Discord Chapter 

 

❧ Join Bella Novels' Newsletter by clicking here ↫ and
receive an email for each
New Update -͙✧˖*°࿐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1 - Pay Attention to Me

Chapter 94 - Pay Attention to Me

Chapter 1 - Snow White's Son